The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
amikk97

Exclamation Need help with fuel system!!

Hello guys,
Im new here, and this is my first post. I have a 1987 GMC Sierra R1500. I just replaced the gas tank because of a nickel sized hole in the side of the tank. I ordered a new one and hooked up the straps and put in the fuel sending unit, plugged in the lines and electrical stuff, filled her up with 5 gallons and now she wont start she just cranks and cranks but wont turn over. the wiring seems alright because the fuel gauge is working, but it seems that the pump is not working. i read on other sites that priming the pump by turning the key to the on position will help and you should be able to hear the pump whirring or buzzing, but all i hear is a click after about 3 seconds. i know its probably the fuel pump, but i wanna see if it could be anything else because i am really NOT looking forwards to taking the tank down again. any ideas? please help.