The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
Senorx

A Tale of Two Hatches

My current hatch came to me without a glass when I purchased my K5. I finally removed it yesterday and discovered more damage then I originally expected. The good thing is my current hatch has all the guts and is in working condition. Only thing missing is a key for the lock, but that is the least of my worries. I purchased a donor hatch from the forum classifieds a few months back with the intention of just using the glass and adding it to my hatch. I retrieved the donor hatch from storage today and inspected it. The donor hatch seems to be in way better condition than my current hatch, but it has zero guts or handle. I really wanted to stay away from taking all the guts out of fear of not being able to put it back together. My fiberglass repair skills rate zero to none too. I have found a boat repair shop that is willing to take on the repair job and the price was right. I'm also worried about the removal and re-instalation of the glass portion of this fix. I do know one thing for sure, I'm sick and tired of not having a rear window on my top. I guess I need a nudge from y'all to do what I think I have already made up in my mind to do.

Below are a few pictures of what I'm dealing with. The first few pictures are of my original glassless hatch. Note the crack to the left of the handle. The crack pretty much goes all the way around. It also as 3 holes on the side lower portion. Stress cracks around the area where the struts that hold up an ajar top bolts up to.

Last edited by Senorx; 11-24-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Senorx is offline   Reply With Quote