The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2004, 03:07 AM   #1
kens71gmc

Smile new member

I know a lot of you folks out there like to know what others are doing with their trucks so I'd like to share what I've got with you all. First I'd like to thank my good friend BUXMAN66 who I met here on the board for his moral support , knowledge, and corny sense of humor. And to Alan my right hand mechanic friend. I've been working on my truck now for five years, with many things happening during that time including a hip replacement. I hope to have it started in week or two depending on the weather since I clear snow. Anyhoo, here goes. '71 GMC 1/2 ton, lwb, 2wd. This is a frame up with every nut and bolt removed. New rockers and sheet metal performed by bodyman Greg. A/C cab has been cut in, using basecoat-clearcoat system. Body will be two-tone Jaguar Aegean blue mica and GM white, roof being white. Frame is gloss black. Cab and doors were plastic bead blasted and rest of metal was sandblasted. No problems at all with the sandblasting, especially large body panels. It's who is behind the gun. Bed floor is in pretty rough shape will probably go with wood. Motor is my original which has been stroked to 383. Motor internals are Speedpro. Don't have specs to cam but its pretty healthy. Stock heads cleaned up with hardened seats and roller tip rockers. All bolts are ARP. Stock compression @ 8.5. Performer manifold and Q-jet built by Jet spec-tuned to my motor, take care of the intake. Summit HEI and Taylor wires take care of the fire. Dynomax ceramic headers dump into 2 1/2" pipes with crossover to Flowmaster Delta Flow 50's with temporary turn downs. Block is satin black; heads, oil pan, and tranny aluminum silver. Valve covers are powdercoated silver metallic along with water neck. Used Eastwood clear satin on the intake to hopefully make easier to clean. We'll see. Charging is supplied by Tuff Stuff 100 amp polished alternator and wiring is Painless which is great. Cooling end is Tuff Stuff hi output aluminum water pump and direct fit Be Cool aluminum radiator. Might be overkill but I want a cool engine. Tranny is a 350 TH with a mild shift kit. A/C will be handled by either Vintage or Old Air, haven't figured out yet. Suspension is lowered in front with 2 1/2" spindles and stock springs. Rear is 3" lowered springs. The gas tank has been moved to the rear. Presently have poly tank but will replace with aluminum shortly. I think the aluminum tank is more substantial both in looks and mounting sturdiness. Yes, it's more expensive, but I'll never regret in the long run. Will probably run 17" wheels and either Goodrich HR4 or Goodyear GT II tires. Better quit ramblin, I've probably lost most already. I'm very proud of my ride thus far, hope to meet some of you out there at a show or two this summer. If there are any questions concerning what I've written, bring it on. I love to share my experience. I'm including a few pictures, if I do this right. If not will resend on a continued thread. Thanks Josh for a great board and letting me share my story. Will continue with progress. Later.[IMG]jpeg[/IMG]
Attached Images

I have been working on 71 GMC 1/2 ton, lwb. frame off resto. 383 sb/350 turbo, dynomax ceramic headers, Flowmaster 50's, summit HEI, JET tuned Q-jet, BE COOL radiator, soon to be installled Vintage Air, tank in frame, painless wiring (love it but a couple minor problems), 2 1/2 in. drop front, 3 in. drop rear. THAT ENGINE IS NOW BORN AND HOWLING LOUDLY!
kens71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote