The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
giantofgreen

Post The 66 basement build

Hey all, After a long absence I've come back around to working on my 1966 long bed oiginally 250 3spd 2wd. I belive I am the 4th owner my truck had about 40k miles on it when I bought it from a co-worker who's father had bought it from the original owners family. A few of years ago back when I had time and money I tore the whole thing down Patched the rockers welded up the cab corners and floors (I was maybe 20 at the time so we'll see what it looks like in the spring) sand blasted and primered all but the bed. My high and lofty goal was more of a pro touring build with a flat bed but keeping the bed at original bed height with the wheel wells raised up and out. I had purchased CPP disc conversion with 2in drop spindle with 13in rotor and a mark IV 454. Then as that summer came to and end I was faced with a harsh reality...again. I don't have a garage! Well here I am a few years later with far less and time and a limited budget due to a failure of brand new motor in another project that I'm being reimbursed for. Well as a 25 year old living at home with an old man just as dumb as myself we decided we could just barely fit the whole frame into my dads basement do an entire mock up (minus the can) tear down and rebuild (outdoors this time) all before my wedding this june. Did I say dumb? Maybe crazy would have been better. So here it goes

What I currently have to work with

Chassis. 1966 c15
Motor. mark IV 454 (truck heads)
Transmission. super t-10 aluminum case out of an 81 Camaro
Rear. 14bolt 2.56 or 2.73 out of 95 silverado (out of my old mans truck that was totaled)
Suspension. CPP 2/4in springs and shocks also front end rebuild kit
Brakes front. CPP disc conversion 2in drop spindle kit 13in rotor
Brakes rear. Factory drums for 95 silverado
giantofgreen is offline   Reply With Quote