The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
jesdude7789

2005 5.3/4l60e into 1987 GMC

I walked into a salvage yard a few weeks ago and they had just gotten a wrecked 2005 Tahoe. I made a deal for the engine pull-out with harness, accessories, tac module, air intake with maf, etc.

My 1987 GMC R1500 truck has the dual gas tanks but I only use the driver side tank since the passenger pump has been dead for a few years now. The small block TBI engine died in it at the beginning of November and I'm really hoping to have the swap done by the end of January or early February because the truck is stuck in Austin at my brothers house (in his way) and I live in the Houston area so it's not the easiest project to make progress on since I have to drive back and forth on every weekend possible and with thanksgiving, Christmas, new years, etc. I have been juggling family stuff too.

Is there somebody with a truck just like mine that did a budget minded build that can help me figure out the right stuff for me to buy? I'm having trouble figuring out the exact fuel system components and adapters I need and do I have to replace the in-tank pump or can I leave it there and just add an inline pump to boost the fuel pressure? I only ask that because I need to get this running and anything that speeds up the process (like not dropping the tank) would be great so I can get this truck back home where it will be much easier to work out the details later.

I also need to know which exhaust manifolds will clear my frame without modifying it. I saw the cast iron hooker manifolds for 300. I would like to keep the factory stuff if possible though. I was looking at 2010 Camaro manifolds that come with the cats and I was thinking that would good since I won't have to fabricate all the exhaust piping myself and weld in o2 bungs and such?
[/I]
jesdude7789 is offline   Reply With Quote