The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
Plastic Mechanic

61 Apache 30 build

Howdy fellas.
I had been searching for a unique pickup for a while, and stumbled across this on CL, about 3 hours from the house.
I drove up and took a look, and although the price was right, I didn't buy it on the spot, because of issues getting it home.
The truck has a valid inspection, and while the PO drove it regularly, this is not the truck you want to drive on a major highway, with traffic running 75 mph with two 3000 ft mountains to cross.
I also didn't want to lose a tranny on my 1/2 ton suburban towing it over those mountains.
Long story short, I drove back up, made the deal, and found a transport service to haul it 175 miles to the house.

Plans are to make this a driver.

Swap the Eaton 5.14 rear for a 14 bolt with a more street friendly ratio.

Swap the torsion front end with a 73+ tonner, with better brakes and power steering.

Swap the 235 and three speed tranny to a streetable, but unique power plant.
Small blocks, and chevy big blocks are out.
I'm currently considering Chevy 292's or 250's, with a possible blow-thru turbo set-up. An old caddy big block, period correct. Possibly a 366 "tall deck".

I'm going to replace the wood bed with a flatbed, or cut the sides down to about 12", i'm undecided there.

I'm going to reduce right height with a spring package at minimum, or possibly bags.

I dont want to change the body or paint at all.

Here are some pics.

Your comments and advice are welcome.

Plastic Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote