The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-26-2004, 07:07 AM   #1
Gary

Is it worth it?

My goal - a nice "weekly" driver (I work at home and don't have to drive much, I put around 6K miles on my current car in the last 20 months) but I also want it to be "sharp" nice paint, interior, clean engine with some respectable chrome and power.

Here's the autotrader ad to help visualize:
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...4/63385294.htm

It's really a dark green not black. Here's the lowdown some I saw myself when I test drove, some the owner supplied:

402 - pretty much bone stock but very clean (pretty orange) says it was rebuilt around or less than 20K ago. Couldn't find any oil leaking anywhere, let the motor get good and warm and it idled good, nothing caught my attention. When I stomped the gas at around 20 it kinda hesitated, sorta backfired a bit and then took _off_.

700R4 transmission - says it has about 60K on it pulled from (he thinks) a 90's model donor.

A/C P/S P/B all working

All the guages seem to be working, MPH/tach/etc

Interior - good shape, pretty clean but used, definitely needs a new interior however it's still clean enough to "use" indefinitely

Exterior - painted a few years ago, ready for a new paint, body looks solid and straight, no dents, hood doesn't close down tightly on the back by the driver side, nothing a hood spring/or hinge won't fix I think, no rust other than a bit here and there in the bed (up under the toolbox) and the bottom of the tailgate is rusted thru in a few spots (painted over no flaking so they apparently did at least take it to bare metal or primer the crap outta it I suppose). Doors close but not "tight" pretty common on these old trucks, had to slam it twice to get a good close.

Driving it had lotsa power, shifted out smooth, steering felt solid, I took it up to about 60 mph on a 2 lane country road and it felt solid and no shakes/pulls/etc.

The "back" part of the grill is missing, but the front is on it.

Would I be getting beat at $3000 for this truck (plus a computer in trade but I got that sitting around so it's not really an "expense").
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote