The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #11
Rc4mike

Re: 1957 Chevy truck re-rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepside Jim View Post
Sure, let's see if this works.....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1...build-1235210/

If you like fabrication and seeing the inside of axles. transmissions, brakes, carbs, ect, you'll be busy for quite some time. You'll see where I stopped on the Willys and began the Chevy build. Although it is a Jeep forum I was asked to continue showing what ever I was building so I have been posting there also. I get many compliments of guys who have raised their own bar because they've been influenced by what I post. It don't get any better than that.

While I'm here... I got to weld a bit this weekend. All this detail stuff gets old and I need to do some good old fashion fabrication. I needed a good heater hose fender support bracket.

Welding and grinding, as Tim Allen would say, arrrrgggg arrrghhhh. Well something like that, it was just good getting back to throwing sparks again.

Started with a piece of iron pipe, then cut it lengthwise.

Then hack sawed the inner other side to bend it open.

Ahhh, I see where this is going now.

After welding and grinding. Then drilling and cutting to length some stainless rod I have all my bracket pieces.

I knew it would be a pain to hold the nuts and washers in place once the fender is back in place so I made a nut retainer thingy.

Now the hoses are firmly in place.

It still needs paint and polish but that'll all be done in springtime.

I had two choices, I could build a bracket off the engine but the hoses would be closer to the valve cover. Not a problem til I want to remove the valve cover or spark plugs. This way everything is still accessible without dealing with hoses.
Jim...small world. I followed your build of the willys on the jeep forum while I built my 56 willys pickup...now I'm doing the same here while I build my 59 apache! Good minds think alike!