The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2014, 02:23 PM   #26
snj8198

Re: 14 bolt Full-Floater Locker Help?

hmm... 3 things.

first, i believe there are only 2 carrier series for the 14bolt and yes the aftermarket thick cut gear sets are for use in the first series carrier but i've never installed or monkeyed with a set so i dont know how much set up deviation there will be.

second, when choosing a set of gears for a tire size, remember that we dont use the rated tire size on paper rather use the actual "static load height" of tire which is the actual measurement from the center of the axle shaft to the ground with the tire properly aired and all expected load on the truck. the difference between the rated tire size and the actual load height are very different and there are many variables that change this measurement, ie, wheel/tire combo, air pressure to ensure proper tire to ground contact, vehicle and load weight, etc. Most tires' actual load height is much less than their size rating such as your 40's, they measure out probably closer to 38", not to mention you are actually taking the static load height which is a radius and multiplying that by 2 probably getting you closer to a 37" tire, thus throwing your output values for your cruise calculation way off. This lower tire height value, once found, will compute to a higher cruise rpm speed than what you originally calculated. It's real world vs simulation differences.

third, you wont like towing with a rear locker. bangs and clanks of the locker engaging and disengaging while turning will definitely let you know it's back there, as well as tire chirping, accelerated wear with a 40's soft rubber compound will have you rethinking the full time Detroit locker in a towing application. Do you live in a winter climate and will this truck be used to tow in adverse weather conditions and slick roads? AAA?

Just some things to think about. I run the Grizzly locker in mine and question my decision from time to time.

steve