The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2015, 10:54 PM   #1
vancelot69

wobble and squeak?

Let me apologize for the novel in advance. I like to be thorough when I'm asking for help. This is on my '70 Jimmy.

Ever since I got it back in April, it shifts HARD going from drive to reverse. It almost sounds like the u-joints are bad, but I can't move the driveshaft with my hand.

A few months ago, I started noticing a squeak-squeak-squeak, especially when I would let off the accelerator or drive in reverse. So, I tried to grease all the zerks I could reach on the driveshafts (the u-joints, and my driveshafts look like they have a slide coupling - see pics - the one with the transmission pan in the shot is the front shaft), but some of them wouldn't take grease, and some of the u-joints didn't have zerks on them.

After doing this, it seemed to mostly alleviate the squeaking, but it still shifted hard.

A few weeks ago, the squeaking came back, and a few days after that, the truck started getting a bad wobble around 35 MPH.

At this time, I had my wife shift into drive-reverse-drive etc so I could see if the u-joint was thunking. I thought it would be the rear u-joint on the rear drive shaft, but when she would go from drive to reverse the driveshaft would stay put, but the thunking noise was coming from the transfer case, although I couldn't tell it if was internal or if it was on the rear output shaft.

The truck has been leaking auto trans fluid, I'm not sure where, so I thought I would check the fill hole in the transfer case to see if it has been leaking into there, and when I popped it off, it immediately started gushing ATF, so I quickly put the fill plug back in.

Then I went to try to get better angles with the grease gun and try to make sure I hit every zerk and make sure they took grease. The main one I wanted to check is the front u-joint on the rear driveshaft that connects it to the t-case, but it didn't appear to have a zerk, so I was looking and looking and one of the u-joint caps looks like it's busted. (I will try to get a pic later this week. It's cold out! haha)

The wobbling makes me afraid to drive it. I can live with the squeak and hard shifting.

So, if you've read all that, thanks for sticking around!

My questions are:

Can an overfull t-case cause wobbling?
Can a busted cap on a u-joint cause wobbling?

I don't think it's anywhere else. That is, I don't think it's in the steering, or front end components (drive axle u-joints, tie rod ends, ball joints, drag link, etc.). But I guess it could be...

Thanks for any help y'all can give!
Attached Images

2003 HD Road King
vancelot69 is offline   Reply With Quote