The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
JimJones

How hard is it to convert an automatic transmission truck to manual?

I don’t yet have a C10 and was wondering if it makes any difference which type of truck I buy as a project vehicle. The reason I ask is because I see a lot more trucks with auto trannys than manuals for sale and would rather buy a manual tranny project truck if it has parts that ill need eventually anyways.

One thing that I really want is a factory tilt column and I don’t know if this was ever offered with a manual or I would ever find one. What I don’t want is a factory tilt column with old the auto shift linkage and parts hanging off of it. I want it to look right.

I'm planning on a complete frame off restoration done by a professional shop that can put out a product of equal or greater quality than the example below in this vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEG83cTTNJQ

From the research I have done the tranny I would like to run is the NV4500 along with a 450hp SBC and an NP205 transfer case. Yes forgot to mention this will be a 4x4 build. Now when it comes to hydraulic clutches or not and all the other things that come in to play that is beyond my scope of knowledge and one of the reasons I plan on having shop that knows what they are doing build the thing.

So basically what I'm wondering is should I start off with a manual trans truck if that is what I want the finished product to have? Or does it make much difference either way?
JimJones is offline   Reply With Quote