The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #1
crewcabsftw

Is this a 14 bolt detroit locker or...?

Alright y'all. Hoping some of you guys are generous enough to help out a newbie like me. So the story goes that I bought this "detroit locker" off this guy who says he got it off another guy who claimed that it was for a 14 bolt 10.5 ring gear, for which he included the box that it supposedly originally came in. What could possibly go wrong there, right? So I picked this thing up for my '79 cclb for a whopping 75 bucks. Now clearly that seems like it is inching into "too good to be true" territory, but for that money i figured I'd take my chances. Now this is the first time I've ever messed with lockers before, so i admittedly have no clue what I'm looking for apart from what I can deduce from my general theoretical understanding of how they work and common sense. So now I have this hunk of metal sitting on my table and I realize that it doesn't look anything like the pictures that I'm seeing online. First thing that strikes me is that it's got spider years with it and from what I understand, a detroit doesn't need new spider gears. so if some of yall might know if this thing is legit or if it's missing parts or is for some other axle, the info would be greatly appreciated so I can atleast sell it to someone who can use it if I cant. Everything in the pictures is everything I've got for it as well as the box that I got with it. Thanks!!
Attached Images