The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2015, 12:35 PM   #11
yahoos

Re: !964 Biscayne. Birdie Sue.

Well ive had nothing but driveline issues since ive been trying to drive the car. First test drive. Different vibrations and a clunk at certain speeds/rpms. I went over everything I had done thinking it was me not the driveshaft work I had done. Online I read that the front driveshaft will only spline back together with the ends 90* apart from eachother. I remember mine splined on in line with eachother. Great they did the front shaft wrong. I called him explained this to him. He LAUGHED at me and said young man thats not your issue. You had us add a slip on the back and that may cause vibration that you cant ever get rid of? WTF are you serious. If you are a driveshaft expert explain to me when any vibration should be ignored and accepted. The problem is that yall set these inline and not turned at 90* how gm balanced and engineered it. It has to be out of balance now. He LAUGHED at me again. He says every oem application sets them up like we did you explain to me why this one is different. I dont know! Im no the gm engineer from 1964! I said you explain to me why 1957 and 1965 have normal frames under them and ones from 58-64 have x frames under them! I dont know why they did the **** the did but they designed it like that! Laughs again, bring it in and we will have a look at it. My 45 years of experience tells me that you are wrong.

Blood boiling I wait til my lunch break and go up there first thing.

I walk in, the guy who does the actual labor (Ryan) is standing there. Mr chuckles from my phone conversation (Larry) no where around. RYan- lets have a look here. Me- Its out of balance bad, Gm set these years up for this to spline on at 90* and now it doesnt, so yall cut it, turned it, and set it up incorrectly and its really out of whack. If yall balance it, it should be fine. Ryan- We can balance it no problem, just need to get the bearing off here. ($100 CPP bearing) Me- I dont have tools to remove that, I tried our press and it just started stretching the poly. Ryan- Picks up the shaft sits it towards me, IM not being responsible with getting that off there. Me- Who cut and welded my driveshaft? Ryan- I did. Me- So you will be responsible for making it wrong but not responsible for fixing your mistake? I slam the driveshaft back towards him. Larry the chuckle clown comes from the back. - Lets have a look here. Me- Your partner here agreed this was supposed to come at 90* and yall did it wrong. So lets sit your 45 years experience and disrespectful laughs to the side and discuss the fix. Larry- I cant make no promises that we wont damage this bearing but we will get it off and get it balanced. Me- do what you go to do. you break that bearing we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Now I honestly figured they balanced each shaft. I did not know they would set it up complete and balance it. I know dumb of me that should be pretty common sense but i havent had driveshaft work done before and I figured a good business may explain that like " Hey your having alot of work done and after shortening that one and adding a telescope to the rear, it would need balanced and it needs to be assembled as a unit for us to balance it" that never happened because he wanted to sell me u joints and install and i said id do that to save on cost. So they did this work and didnt explain to me that it was a bad idea. Obviously just care about money and not turning out a good product.

Get my shaft back friday before they close. looks like **** with washers welded all over it from them obviously struggling to balance. Sweet hopefully I can get it in and cruise it this weekend since its warm. Go to the shop install it. Fingers crossed I head out for a test. Go down the road turn into a neighborhood. Give it a little gas get up to 25-30 mph. CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK.
Dangit! Its even louder now! WTF. i go home done for the day and frustrated to hell and back. Get up yesterday morning. Try to rule them out since i know they balanced it. Read up about setting the angles on a 2 piece drive shaft and head to the shop and get to work. Get her in the air at the height I will normaly drive. Start adjusting. got the front set right at 1.5*, hell ya im moving fast move on to the back. Start setting the rear. having more trouble adjusting. Get out from under the car and look at me picture i drew and clear my head. Yep im doing it right time to bust this thing out. Go to slide under the car and grab the rear shaft to pull myself under. CLUNK. I recognized that sound so fast. I grab the shaft and shook the fire out of that thing. CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK. i look up in the tunnel of the x frame and shake it again. CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK. Center bearing isnt moving but the telescoping part they added is. easy 1/16th play but close to 1/8th! This explains why this thing was covered in washers was the first thing in my head. Then i thought back to friday morning when I initially called him saying it was out of balance! he said that the vibration was from me having them add that telescoping part and it may be a vibration I cant ever get rid of! I think he knew it had slack in it!

They are not open on weekends, but I hope to god they are open tomorrow. I will be there waiting for them to open. I will not run this driveshaft now. I honestly believe anything they touch should not be trusted and is a safety hazard! I will try to get my money back but already no that answer so I will see what legal options I have.

I have not been angry or seriously made since I was like 16. These guys accomplished it. Im thrilled to see how the conversation goes tomorrow. It will be recorded too lol.

I drove her home right down the road. Just wanted to somewhat enjoy her after not getting to really drive it for close to a year. 6 months it sat from the rusty frame and been rebuilding it for 4 months now.

Any ways hope yalls week/weekend was better then mine!

BTW SHREVEPORT CLUTCH AND DRIVESHAFT! IF YOU ARE AROUND THE ARKLATEX AREA DO NOT USE THESE GUYS!.

On a better not. The rest of the car is doing great! Motor runs fantastic. Brakes work terrific, especially for being drums and a single line system. Trans seems to be performing well. Air suspension is operating wonderful. Power steering is nice too! She honestly does not feel like you are driving a old car. I think I will be more then pleased once i get me a good driveshaft.

I will keep yall updated!

Last edited by yahoos; 01-18-2015 at 12:45 PM.
yahoos is offline   Reply With Quote