The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2015, 03:23 AM   #1
zodari

Not starting, new battery, new ignition switch...

New to the forum! I have a 72 Gmc K15 that I bought last year and have slowly fixing it up and driving it in between. It started having issues starting reliably last fall. I eventually replaced the battery and that seemed to help for a little while, then it was acting like it had a short, though I couldn't figure out where. it sat for the last month or so and then I needed it to move apartments, no go. I ended up arcing the starter with a screw driver to get her to run and move her over to the new apartment. I went and replaced the ignition switch and ignition connector last weekend, and same thing. I can turn it to on and the radio turns on, and lights turn on, but it won't even try the starter, no click or anything.

Now when I put in the ignition switch, I put each cable over as it was in the old. That being said there were no green cables coming into the old switch. I spent an hour or so trying to figure out where the could have gone. Also the old ignition connector was somewhat melted on the brown cable side. So I'm assuming that the greens that are missing are a ground? I know my wiring is a mess, newer deck, newer engine. (Found some paperwork under the seat on it saying it was put in "professionally" in `96) That's all of the permanent info I can think of. Would like to know what your guys thoughts are. It was working before with that setup just fine, now it's a not even trying. Thanks in advance!
zodari is offline   Reply With Quote