The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2015, 05:44 PM   #40
cbbeard

Re: My DIY Dash Restoration

ANOTHER WARNING!

Today we took the truck to get new tires. It was the first time it had been out of the driveway in about a year. We stopped to get lunch and when we came out the dash had a problem after sitting in the sun. Here is a picture:

What happened is apparently in the sun, it caused the filler to sink in on a spot where I apparently had not built it up sufficiently. It hasn't cracked or anything, but it has made the spot visible.

SO, for all of those interested in attempting this at home, I would suggest you make sure you have filled the void in the foam in well enough that it won't sink. I believe urethanesupply.com suggests and offers a sort of "plastic weld" that you melt into the voids before filling. If the cracks are very deep or foam too damaged, I would seriously consider doing that.

I am very frustrated, but I don't think this indicates that the job itself is a failure or wouldn't work. It's just something I never would have thought of or known until the damage was done.

Good luck!
cbbeard is offline   Reply With Quote