The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2015, 11:35 PM   #1
C10agent

Bed Removal - One Man Job without a Cherry Picker

Like it says, I removed the bed today by myself without any kind of lift. I was watching Car Chasers and they had a huge military truck they had to remove the bed of so they attached 6x6 posts to the bed, let out air in the tires to lower the truck and drove away. In addition to that, I used to work at discount tire during college and we used to be able to move vehicles pretty much anywhere with floor jacks.

So.... that got me to thinking. I took out all the bed bolts (zero bolts were frozen, super lucky), jacked up the back of the truck from the pumpkin and removed the tires. Then I pulled the bed as far back as it would go, put jack stands at the four corners, lowered the jack under the pumpkin so the back drums were almost on the ground, put the truck in neutral and pushed. The whole truck rolled on the jack. I had to reposition some jack stands along the way but all in all, pretty happy I got it off by myself. Once it was on the jack stands I moved them to some weak saw horses that made me nervous so I ended up putting it up in the air. I haven't power cleaned in a while, but I got it up. I will more than likely be getting a cherry picker to put it back on when I get done with the back half, but I am able to get started. I wouldn't recommend for a show truck, but man mine is a shop truck that is okay to beat up the paint. Hope this helps some folks.
Attached Images

20" American Racing Daytonas
IG - neilioustx - pictures of build/progress

Born and Raised in the Promised Land....
TEXAS Y'ALL!!
C10agent is offline   Reply With Quote