The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #1
68_Step

Finding TDC

I am getting ready to rebuild my distributor on my 1978 K30 454ci and I want to verify TDC before putting the distributor back in. I made the below list, using several threads I found on the forum. Does everything look right? If something is out of order or wrong point me in the right direction.

One thing I am still fuzzy about is how far into the cylinder i screw the stop.

1. Insert the piston stop, then turn the engine by hand until the piston contacts the stop. Mark the balancer at that point where the 0* is.

2. Then rotate the engine back the opposite way until it hits the stop again. Mark the place where it stops using the 0* as a reference

3. TDC is exactly between the marks. If that is where the factory timing mark hits, nothing needs to be done. If it dosn't make a new "permanent" mark.

4. Rotate the engine to where the the harmonic balancer is lined up on 8 degrees to the right of the 0*

5. Holding the dist above the hole, point the rotor to the #1 piston and drop the dizzy in. May need to turn the oil pump shaft.

6. If the rotor rotates away from the #1, pull and adjust, drop in again. Adjust oil pump shaft again if needed.

7. Install the dist cap, whichever tower the rotor is pointing at is now #1 - should be front right corner

8. Install the plug wires in firing order sequence: 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 working clockwise around the cap

9. Cut wires to fit and istall the plug wires to the plugs.

So other than hope I don't goof it up, does the list look OK? Thanks guys!
68_Step is offline   Reply With Quote