The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2015, 10:27 AM   #11
4mulaSvaliant

Drivin' the crap out of it!

Figured it was about time for an update.

Overall I have just been driving the crap outta the poor thing. I drive it daily to work at just shy of 40 miles a day. Been doing that for couple months now with no major issues fortunately.

Recently I got a lead on a 71 rear end with 3.07 gears and went out to pick it up. I have realized I let the desire to get the correct gears (as a whole differential) get the best of me. The rear I picked up, while having the correct gears, needs a LOT of work to be road worthy. It had sat for years with no Yoke on it and the snout pointed upward and the differential collecting water.
There was enough gear oil coating things to not let the rust destroy it, but needless to say everything need to be gone through to be reliable.
For the cost and effort there, I can have another set of gears installed in the rear thats currently in the truck..... Soooo....

As for the latest work on the truck, it would be a full exhaust system!
Just like the rest of this build, the exhaust is no exception to a tight budget.

Purchased parts in the list below and there is of course some story to why the cost went a little nutty at the end! LOL

Parts:
$89.00 Block Hugger Headers from EBAY
$68.00 PAIR of knock-off Flowmaster mufflers
$200.00 to run the 2-1/2" pipe from collectors-mufflers-just under the steps.
$140.00 (in trade for some fabrication work) NASCAR "Boom Tube" Tips
$60.00 MSD ignition wire set (also in trade fro fabrication work)

So the story goes like this.
When I built the previous exhaust system it was from the bit and pcs that were on the truck when I got it. I scabbed it together and it didnt sound bad at first, but then it quickly showed its age and began to deteriorate.

The hangers that I welded to the pipe ripped the side out of the pipe and both sides had broken at one point and were hanging temporarily from the manifolds only.
I fixed them both right away but not before the drivers side "donut" took quite a hit and was damaged bad enough to completely fall apart. Now I had a huge leak right after the manifold and it sounded like pure A$$.

Needless to say it prompted me to buy headers as I wasn't about to try to break free the studs that were in the manifolds since 1964!

Block hugger headers were the obvious choice based on fitment and my concern over the long and mid length headers hitting the clutch linkage.

I spent time in a friends heated garage tearing the old stuff off the block, installing the headers and running the 5 min. trip to the exhaust shop with OPEN HEADERS! That was fun for that 5 minutes, but thats all I could have taken of normal driving like that! Hahahah

So the "Boom Tube" I seen this installed on my friends 1934 Ford 5 window and it souded so damn good! As I planned this exhaust system they came to mind but I quickly dismissed them based on the budget. However when I got to his house, he happened to have 2 pairs sitting on the bench in the garage! He said "I see you eyeballin' my exhaust!" Next thing ya know a deal was struck on some stuff I was there to look at doing for him anyhow.

He also happened to have the plug wire set that I needed in a pinch once I put the headers on and they required 90* boots at all 4 corners. (Again traded fro the fabrication work he wanted outta me) Gotta love having a skill to barter with!!!!

So here are a few pics and a YOUTUBE link to the finished sound.

Had to make a few reducers. The Boom Tubes are 3.5" inlet and I have 2.5" pipe. I wasnt about to pay SUMMIT RACING $22.00 a pc for reducers

Here is the Tip with my reducer.

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2jtKflRXD0