The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2015, 12:20 PM   #1
Dad's72

Trying to start my 72

Hey y'all, I am new here but have been looking at this forum fora couple of years off and on. I have a 1972 Cheyenne Super long bed that was left to me by my father. My mother bought this for my dad in 1973 and he kept it all these year. I was after it just before I turned 16 years old. I even tried buying it from him but he would never let me get it off of him. Fast forward to the summer of 2007. I was 26 and in the middle of a home remodel of my first house. My dad sits me down on a Saturday morning and slides the tile over to me and tells me that the 72 is now mine as long as I promise not to sell it. We go over our plans and get a game plan together and are wanting to start tearing it down around Nov or Dec. Well my dad past away two months later on August 2nd. After funeral costs and and finishing up the remodel I didn't have any money to spend on the truck. After getting married and having two kids my money was thin.

Fast forward to now, I want to try and start the truck. I would like to at least drive it around in the neighborhood or to my new house before parking it and tearing it down to the frame, this is probably a year out.
My question to all of y'all who obviously have more experience in this than I is where do I start? I poured a little oil in each plug and replaced all the plugs, new distributor cap and rotor, new oil pump, and made sure the motor turns over. It has a qudrojet carb that I'm sure is gunked up. I hooked up a battery and it turned over and ran for a few seconds. But two tries later the starter burned up. I need to rebuild the starter in hopes it will be cheeper than buying a new one. But what do y'all recommend in order to at least get it running.
These pictures are right before I put some used tires on it.
Attached Images

Dad's72 is offline   Reply With Quote