The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2015, 10:35 PM   #11
Free Candy Inside

Re: Free Candy Inside: 63 Long Panel Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
those arms are set up for much larger tires and wheels, they have the geometry of dropped lower control arms. so you are probably right that you are not squashing the bag enough, there should be 3" between your upper mount and lower mount when laid out. To find out how off you are, put a 2x4 under the tire and lay the truck out, if it still lays out, put another 2x4 on top of it and try to lay out. this will help tell you how much more tire you will need. If you dont want bigger tires, you can put a cup on the lower arm to squish the bag more but it will never improve the arm to ground clearance. usually that is not a big issue, because the tire will roll over an obstacle and the arm goes up too.

you will want to fix it not only for lift but also because your bag pressures will be much higher if you dont have it squished down to 3", you want every single psi to contribute to lift, not have an empty volume that has to fill before it can start lifting.

good luck.
You are correct and that's exactly what I was thinking. I may try your 2x4 trick before I go bolting the factory spindles back on. I was able to run a die on the thread and get the nut to tighten down.
Free Candy Inside is offline   Reply With Quote