The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
sev85

400 sbc and electric fan help needed

guys i need help i have a 1982 gmc high sierra 4x4 i droped a stock 400 small block minus a very mild cam headman headers i believe 1 5/8 to 3 inch collector edelbrock rpm air gap intake edelbrock 1406 600cfm electric choke carb with a 1 inch spacer stock belt driven water pump and i didnt have a fan shroud and it had too small of a fan so it was boiling over crawling around on trails and in the mud but would stay cool cruising down the road over 30 mph

i have installed a dual electric fan setup which covers about 90% of the radiator with shroud and switched thermostats from a 200 to a 180 high flow t-stat

today was 60 degrees and with one electric fan running all the time it maintained about 190-200 degrees if i clicked the second electric fan on it cooled it down to about 140-160 range (guessing on temps because the gauge has lines not actual numbers in between the lowest which is 100 and the highest that is 240)

the temp sensor is a electric sensor in the side of the head to a stock gauge with a aluminum radiator was told it was a 4 core but im thinking it is a 2 core

heres my question should i set one electric fan to run all the time and than put the fan controller on the second fan to kick on only when it is going to overheat or setup both fans on controllers one at operating temperature and the second only when over heating? also what is a good operating temperature for the 400?

because i have seen setups where if both fans run constantly they run the battery dead because the alternator cant keep up with the electrical usage it is a stock alternator off a 350 which i believe to be 80 or 90 amps i will upgrade later on when i have more money to a much larger 140 amp or bigger alternator because im planning on adding more electrical addons ( ie off road lights upgraded head lights a winch a sub and a amp and a upgrades to the stereo system
sev85 is offline   Reply With Quote