The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2015, 03:31 AM   #11
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg64 View Post
Hey Greg. Look, I've been there and done that. Let me pass along some of what I learned... Removing the transmission seems like the "easy" (that's a bunch of BS) way to do this job. But let me tell you, having an sm465 myself, they weight 180 lbs with no fluid. Taking it out is hard enough, but putting it back is a real bear. And that assumes you have a way to support the transmission on your floor jack. Just the cup end on the jack isn't going to cut it, and lifting that transmission in dangerous. I almost crushed my arm one time.

Next, even after you get the tranny out, doing the rear main seal is still a b1tch! Ya, it can be done, but it's an awkward job lying on your back.

I found, counterintuitive as this sounds, it's easier to block up the transmission in place, then disconnect the bell housing bolts at the engine, and pull the whole engine. This makes the seal job, and removing the pan way easier, as is realigning the clutch disc. Of course this assumes you have an engine hoist.

The other benefit is you don't have to fight with the driveshaft (those centre carrier bolts are pleasant). And you don't have to remove the tranny crossmember. Man, I spent hours getting one of those out on a parts truck I had. The lower bolts are easy, it's the upper ones under the cab.
Greg, this is where I was when I saw / read you post. I was literally sitting on the garage floor right next to my Muncie on the floor right next to me
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote