The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2015, 10:43 PM   #1
Spline64

Missing Issue / Possible Fuel Pump Failure

Hey all,

Well, engine started randomly missing recently and after checking possible electrical issues first, discovered that the fuel filter had some large visible debris in it. Yeah, I know, don't use the plastic ones but it did show contamination so pointing me in the right direction.
Checked the fuel pump output and got about 1/3 of a cup in 5 seconds along with one small piece of debris that matched what was seen in the filter. I'm not sure if that flow is acceptable or not, but have noticed that sometimes the fuel doesn't always fill the filter.

So....I guess I have a couple of questions:

I have attached pictures of the debris. While the pics don't show it, the debris will float on gas and looks line a fine lint with jello qualities. How could this contamination come from the gas tank since it floats so well?
Is it possible that the diaphragm of the pump has failed and this is the debris I am seeing?
I've already purchased, for the massive sum of 24 dollars another filter and fuel pump and will be installing them tomorrow morning but was curious what you guys thought about the pics and if just maybe something corroded / failed in my gas tank (single tank system) or am I the victim of a random drunken angry person....
Don't want to filter my tank 24 bucks at a time.

Thanks,
Spline64
Attached Images

Spline64 is offline   Reply With Quote