The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2015, 11:48 PM   #1
1972BlueC20

Fuel Pressure Issues

Ok guys, some of you have been seeing my posts over the weeks and months and may know that I was having some issues with fuel pressure and some initial WOT hesitation more recently.

I adjusted the accelerator pump first and had no success with the hesitation. I had a new accelerator pump ready to install but first I wanted to try a regulator.

I installed a fuel pressure regulator today and set the PSI to 5.5 since I'm running an Edelbrock and it seems that the hesitation is now gone. I only drove it once for about 15 minutes and did several cruise to WOT and dead stop accelerations and it never hesitated. It actually felt like it had more power and was running much better having the pressure regulated.

Is that possible? Less fuel pressure would = more power and performance? Excuse that dumb question, but I'm learning.

The only problem that I now have left which I was hoping would be fixed with the addition of the regulator but wasn't, is the issue that after the truck sits after running and the pressure needle drops back down to 0 after the fuel runs back down the line.....it's hard to start.....you have to stand on the ignition for about 5 seconds before the fuel makes its way back up to the carb.

If you turn the truck off even if the engine is scolding hot, and the pressure is still showing on the gauge to be anymore than 0...whether its immediately after you turn the truck off or even 10 minutes after, then it fires right up immediately.

Once the pressure in the line drops to 0 PSI = hard start.

Is that normal to have hard start after sitting? How can I fix it?

Whats interesting is it starts right up every morning when its cold. Even though the pressure is at 0 in the morning.....I do however give it a squirt before cranking but it always fires right up.....giving it a squirt when hot after the pressure drops to 0 doesn't work during the day like it works in the morning. Its driving me crazy.

Also is it normal that when I rev the engine with my hand while watching the fuel pressure gauge that the pressure dips down a little on throttle?

Sorry I know that was long and is a lot of questions!

I appreciate your time and patience with me!!

Last edited by 1972BlueC20; 02-20-2015 at 11:53 PM.
1972BlueC20 is offline   Reply With Quote