The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2015, 01:28 AM   #1
ozkiwi

Horse power I never knew I had shows up unexpectedly

I have had a rebuilt quadrajet sitting in it's plastic wrap in my workshop for over a year.
I only bought it as a back up while the Australian dollar was up against the USD as my old one seemed fine.The original started to leak so I thought I would install the spare and rebuild the original at my leisure.
I have a crate 330hp HO with a roller cam,1 5/8 long tube headers running into a 2 1/4 true dual exhaust and a elderbrock performer inlet manifold.
No rocket ship but a nice street setup.
First off the old carby was barely bolted down with all bolts finger tight which cannot be a good thing.
After the install my lumpy idle was gone????I thought it was the cam making it idle like that !
Driving down the road I noticed how smooth the engine was and how responsive the it was to throttle input.
The shock came when I floored the peddle off the lights and my little mouse roared for the first time I know it is only 330hp but it felt like the thing jumped in the air when it launched I must have been driving around on about 100hp less and I was happy with that.
Only a tired 305 the truck came with for comparison so it felt good to me but surely the shop that installed the HO would have noticed something was amiss as they have installed a ton of these engines?

Here's a question how does a carb change effect the the change points for a 700R4 because now my truck will pull hard all the way till 5500rpm through each gear until top where it used to change at 4000 unless I held it manually in each gear?
ozkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote