The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2015, 09:47 PM   #11
JPBrecheisen

Re: What did you do to your truck today part III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Since I will be doing something like that before long on mine, what did you use for lenses and any special hook-up advice for us wiring idiots.
These were super low budget but easily done if you have a tad bit of patience.

The lenses themselves are nothing more than a flexible plastic document folder that can likely be found an any store that sells school type supplies.

I traced out the size and shape that I needed and cut with a pair of small scissors. Once that was done, I opened a word document on the computer and typed the words "HI-BEAM" and "TURN-SIG" I used size 10 on the font, BOLDED, and the style was Cambria.

I printed the document, then cut the paper out to match the back side of the lens with the text centered in the lens. I did this by holding it up to the light to make sure it was in the right spot. I did this so the letting would show up when the light was on.

The GMC instrument clusters have little rubber bushings that hold the lenses and the paper in place once everything is assembled. I'm not familiar with the set up on the Chevrolet.

Its cheap, and it works. I need to do some fine-tuning on mine, but I can post "process pics" if you think they'll help.

Let me know.

Jonathon