The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2015, 05:24 AM   #1
firedog

My story on how I got involved in these trucks

I am typing this due to the one that got me going with the trucks has suffered a stroke and has lost all movement on his left side. A healthy 60 year old man enjoying his retirement from the military on his measly military pension.

I didnt get a lot of time with my father growing up. He was a career Army Helicopter mechanic. The one summer we attempted to spend together was inturrepted by training for Desert Storm. Thru all these times there was the one constant a Blue and White 1969 Chevy Long Bed. That truck seen many miles between Fort Campbell Kentucky and Missouri and then later between Fort Hood Texas and Missouri. Fort Hood Texas almost ended the life of that old truck when it was broadsided in an intersection. Pushing the bed side in and pushing the rear end almost to where the tire was rubbing the frame. At the same time that this occured my father was retiring from the Army and headed to Korea to work a civilian job. Prior to him leaving the truck was fixed up and fresh paint put on it. The truck set in the garage for 10 years after that.

I graduated high school, entered the real world of work, kids, divorce, and all those adult things you do. But all our conversations always evolved around his truck or the truck that I had bought.
Name:  trkpics%20005a.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  70.8 KB
Name:  DSC00755.JPG
Views: 1077
Size:  45.2 KB

When my father decided to return to the states he purchased a small lot and built a big garage. The next year i started the process of tearing down my truck for my first attempt at a restore and my dad purchased a 71 gmc and 2 pickup truck loads of parts. So that fall and winter we built not 1 truck but we built 2 trucks in the same garage at the same time. Picking thru the stache of parts. Both trucks were completed along with my grandfather building a 1970 4x4 out of our left overs as well during the same time period.
Name:  trkpics%20009a.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  59.4 KB

We have had many trips to meet many people on the board, we were at the National Board Meet in Norwood, MO when my engine blew, we went to Kirksville, MO to a midwest meet when I lost my tranny, we have taken 2 trips to the Midwest All Truck Nationals in Kansas City, and the awesome trip to Paris TN for another National Board Meet where it rained most of the way. We have met great people along the way at swap meets and just thru the board. Which led to the most recent project a 1967 Chevy Short bed we bought from Tycoon4u. This truck is awaiting the engine install and a tranny along with interior.
Name:  IMG_0531%20(640x480).jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  56.9 KB
So this is my story of how I got involved into these trucks. Everyone, remember the moments you spend with your loved ones, even if you are on your back laying in a puddle of tranny fluid. You never know when you might have that oppurtunity taken away from you.
Tach/tilt/buddy buckets
Bagged/18" Wheels
Black on Black

Project "Pandemic" the Farm Rat
1927 Chevy Capitol Truck Rat rod
'30 Model A Frame
Dual Carb 5.3 LS
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=804162

2007 GMC 4 DOOR 2WD
BUILT 5.3 STAGE 3 CAM 93 TUNE
LIFTED 22X12 WHEELS 33" TIRES

2023 Jeep RENEGADE