The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-26-2015, 10:45 PM   #1
Steve's58'Apache

Fuel tank- No suction

Hello all,

This is my first post. I have a 1958 Apache Stepside. The motor is a 350 from 1972 Chevrolet Pick up. The mechanical fuel pump had gone out on it. Replaced that. Rigged up a short fuel line to the Fuel pump with a funnel to feed fuel. [IMG][/IMG]

Engine ran great! I'm currently working on removing the in cab fuel tank. I'm using a 64' falcon tank that I bought locally. The mounting and securing of the tank has gone well.

I put a new fuel sending unit in the tank, ran a rubber fuel injection line from the tank to the existing hard fuel line. (Which I had blown out with an air compressor to ensure there was not any foreign material in the line) So now I'm feel that im all hooked up, ready to run. I put a few gallons of gas. Start cranking, I realize it may take a bit to feel fuel up to the engine. But it never reached it. I removed hard line from carb, cranked, nothing. I used a multi- use hand pump where the rubber meets the hard line. Nothing. While using the hand pump I smelled the strong gasoline fumes. Now I'm stuck.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I've seen others use an in line fuel pump. Is that necessary?? Will it provide Better suction than the multi-use hand pump?
Steve's58'Apache is offline   Reply With Quote