The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2015, 11:17 PM   #1
Me&My53

New to the forum.

I first would like to introduce myself,
My name is Joe and I live in Alabama.
I have a 1953 chevrolet 5 window short bed pickup.
I bought the truck in Colorado and the guy I bought the truck from was the grandson of the original owner. The grandson has put a 1967 327 corvette engine and Saginaw 4 speed transmission. It has a 10 bolt rear end out of a 1969 Impala, But it resides on it's original frame with drum brakes in all 4 corners.
But it has been converted to 5 lug. ( not sure what was used to do the conversion on the front) possibly the front hubs from the Impala.
The ONLY rust the truck has is where the firewall meets the floor board on the drivers side just under the pedals and on both kick panels.
Probably the worst spot is around the parking brake hole in the corner of the floor.

This is what I would like to do to the truck. And I have been trying to do alot of research on how to do this.
I would like to do a S10 frame swap with power steering and power brakes. A/C
And swap the points distributor to HEI it has already been converted to 12 Volt system but it still has points. but none of the gauges work.
So I have a lot of wire issues to work out.
My main questions are:

1. Can a 1994 up S10 frame work? If so would it be the same as a first gen S10 i.e. Standard cab, 2wd, Long Wheel Base.?
I am finding it near impossible to locate a first gen S10 2wd LWB. even junk yards and scrap yards want $1000 for JUST A FRAME. not even a rear end.
I can find plenty of the extended cab 1st gen's and if the 1994 up frame won't work my back up plan is to use an extended cab and just shorten the frame at the joint.
2. I want to keep the engine and transmission combo that is in the truck now.
It has the double hump manifolds that exit in the center and I would love to keep these on the engine if possible. Is this going to be an issue?
From what I have read the headers or manifolds must be a rear exit.
3. Can the factory running board mounts be removed from the original frame and used on a S10 frame?
Any help with this before I tackle this project is greatly appreciated.
How do I upload pictures? I cant find the URL on this MAC

Last edited by Me&My53; 03-10-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Me&My53 is offline   Reply With Quote