The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2015, 07:24 PM   #1
Jesus5150

Setting Initial timing and valve lash SBC

I'm having trouble finding answers here. I'm certain this question has been covered but apparently I'm using the wrong keywords.

I've got a fresh 350 with stock heads. Never Assembled a Chevy V8 Before so I'm not sure how to do the initial timing, or how to tighten the rockers.

What I've done is put the #1 piston @tdc then put the cam in with gear mark at 6 o'clock. I put the crank pulley mark at 12 o'clock which sets the crank pulley key at roughly 3 o'clock. (wasn't sure which timing mark to use on my lunati double roller lower pulley. But I think I used the right one.) so that's where the timing is thus far.

I have to prime the oil pump still so the distributor isn't in yet.

As for the rocker arms, I'm not sure how to set initial lash. Was thinking about just tightening them against the Valves and then backing off a turn, but then I'm not sure how to deal with the Valves being partially open on some... So confused.
Jesus5150 is offline   Reply With Quote