The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2015, 04:00 AM   #1
hamad

Turbo build: Need your advice

Hello Everyone,

I have a 1987 2WD GMC stepside c10 short bed. The truck is currently in the middle east. I've had it for a while now and restored the paint and interior. I had a shop in AZ put in a LS2 and T-56 for me a couple of years ago. The shop is called Tempe Speed. The car has a 14 bolt with a Detroit locker and the T-56 is built by a local shop as well. The motor is a stock LS2 which is untouched. The car runs great without any issues. But like a lot of guys on here, I want more....

Since I have no fabrication skills, no mechanical skills, I went looking for a shop to do me my own custom turbo kit. I found a shop that will do me a turn key set up. Everything from a full fuel system to a custom turbo manifold. He included a brief description of parts on the phone. These are: Precision turbo (did not specify size), Tial wastegate and blowoff valve, full fuel system with double pumps, injectors, fuel rails, 3 inch intercooler (I think), full piping system (hot and cold side), double valve spring kit, head gaskets, heat shields and turbo blanket, electronic boost controller, oil feed line kit and he will install all of these parts in-house and tune it afterwards.

This guy builds 1000HP+ cars on a monthly bases and is very good at it. He has done this so many time that he has a fixed price for custom made turbo kits for LS swapped vehicles! We discussed running low boost and my goal is 500-550 WHP. I don't want to play with the motor and just keep it stock and dependable.

This guy is asking an arm and a leg for this package ($10K), but with his great skills I believe its the best place to work at. (especially that we have very limited talent and shops here in my country)

Now what I need advice on... This guy is a couple of hours from where I live so I am going to go over soon and want to have a list of questions to ask him before I decide if I wanted to do it or not.

What to ask? What to see? What to consider? Also if anyone had any comments about the set up that I am going to run, or would suggest a different part or route I would be thankful.

I know a lot of guys here will say "there is a more cheap and easy way to get 500 WHP" but I have the turbo bug and really want to turbo my truck.

All opinions and advice is welcome and I will provide any information to help you help me

Thank you in advance and I'm looking forward to seeing your advice

(Wish this thread is in the correct place, forgive me if it isn't)
1979 RED GMC Street Coupe shortbed stepside, red interior, 454, Turbo 400
1991 GREY and BLACK Chevy Suburban, red interior, 454 tbi, 700r4
1985 BROWN Chevy C20 longbed fleetside, tan inteior, 454, Turbo 400
hamad is offline   Reply With Quote