The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2015, 10:40 PM   #1
danielelfert

Did I get the wrong speedometer gears?

Hey all, I have a 1984 Chevy k10 with a NP208 transfer case. The speedometer drive and driven gears were both stripped so I ordered replacements. I ordered a replacement drive gear from amazon (Ill include a link) and a 22 tooth driven gear.

The driven gear didn't say it was compatible with a np208, it said it worked with the TH400 transmission. The reason I assumed it'd work is because other driven gears that fit the NP208 also work with the TH400.

After swapping the gears in and everything, I found that my speedometer still isn't reading. I checked to make sure the cable is hooked up properly by pulling the driven gear sleeve and turning the gear by hand, and the speedometer went up, so I know the driven gear does cause the speedometer to spin.

Is there any way of adjusting the angle that the driven gear sits in the transfer case to make it mesh with the drive gear, or did I buy the wrong one? Thank y'all a bunch.

Drive Gear: Amazon.com: La Speedometer Gear 14037997 NP208 15... Amazon.com: La Speedometer Gear 14037997 NP208 15...
Driven Gear: Amazon.com: ATP YA-18 Speedometer Gear: Automotive Amazon.com: ATP YA-18 Speedometer Gear: Automotive
danielelfert is offline   Reply With Quote