The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
SayBye

T5 Installed

I've been working on this alone for the past 2 weeks, not being in any hurry. After removing the 3 speed, I figured since its out, might as well replace the rear main and reseal the oil pan. I did both of these, then moved on to installing the t5.

Couldn't have done it without Jays (lugnuts65) help! BIG THANKS!!!! Keep in mind that 2 week ago I didn't even know a t5 existed lol. After reading his write up, pm'ing and some phone conversations he was able to get me through it. His t5 page can be found here and has some excellent info and pictures for anyone wanting to do this swap!

http://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly.com/

He goes into all the details on his page, so Ill just hit a few highlights of my swap. Once the input shaft was changed and cut down it was time to measure the driveshaft length. A driveshaft shop would frown upon doing this but I have cut a few drive shafts down over the years and never had any issue. I measured, cut and welded the driveshaft back to the length it need to be, replacing the ujoints while I had it out.

Once the t5 was in place, I measured for the shift hole in the floor. My advice, cut a little, measure a lot and you'll do just fine! I also bent a long and high gear shifter (might take some out of it, but I dig the high and long look). Still waiting on my 8ball shift knob to arrive.
Attached Images

Last edited by SayBye; 04-07-2015 at 09:24 AM.
SayBye is offline   Reply With Quote