The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2015, 01:18 AM   #1
Vincenthdfan

O.K., Im at a "Cross-Road" with my '62 C-10 SWB...Opinions Please

Hello all,

I've posted on here a couple times before just sharing pics of my new to me '62 SWB.

I've since done some more tinkering with it and that's raised a few questions and put me at a proverbial "cross-road" if you will, so I thought I'd come here once again and pick your brains a bit.

The truck has the original 283 in it that's obviously never been rebuilt. Stock ram horns, Edelbrock 1405 carb, had the original distributor but I replaced it with an aftermarket HEI distributor.

The previous owner installed a T-5 from a Camaro with an S-10 tail housing on it.

It starts right up and runs pretty well but when you get in the higher RPM range there's a pronounced shudder almost like a miss felt in the seat of the pants (not really a vibration per-se).

I've re-checked timing, checked jetting, spark plugs are all evenly colored and quite nicely colored at that.

Ran a compression test and engine was 131 psi at the lowest on the #1 cylinder, a few at 142'ish and a couple at 150/151.

I'd say the original engine is getting a bit long in tooth.

I was just going to buy a JEGS 350 crate motor and one of their 700R4 trannys while I was at it. That combo would run me around $3,000'ish I figure.

It would be a simple bolt in process with the exception of tweaking the auto tranny linkage and shift points of course.

Then I went to the Portland Swap Meet last weekend and saw a couple of really nice 5.3's for sale really cheap.

That got me reading on turn key set ups out of wrecked rigs, etc...

I'm considering getting one of these 5.3's with attached 4L60 transmission and associated wiring harness, computer etc.

I can buy all this for a little less than $2,000 shipped.

Of course there are other expenses harness wise, computer program, fuel tank & pump, etc...

But all in all, I think it would be around the same cost...am I right here??

I think I'd be getting me a lot more torque, power, and clean running to boot.

Biggest draw back?? Wiring...I friggen hate wiring!!

So, my questions are:

1. What's causing my original shudder/miss feeling?

2. Could shudder/miss feeling be associated with the T-5 conversion (I.E., flywheel, pressure plate, etc...balance wise)?

3. Would you go crate motor with old school carb and 700R4?

4. Would you go 5.3 EFI with original attached automatic tranny??

Thanks everyone in advance!

Vincent

Vincenthdfan is offline   Reply With Quote