The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-2015, 11:24 PM   #1
Jonlopes

how expensive is this to fix?

Hello, I am about to make a trade to get a 69 chevy C20

This truck was originally purchased new by UC San Diego and was given to the current purchasing manager when they decided to get rid of it about 15 years ago.

I went to look at it today, the stock 307 starts right up and the T400 shifts just fine (though it does not downshift, probably the switch on the gas pedal) The Drum brakes work though but the manual steering has got to go, I don't have Popeye forearms . It still has the working stock am radio and seems completely stock except for the addition of a modern radio + speakers in a console added to the roof seen in the picture below.

My question is about the rust that it has. Lurking in the forums I have seen much worse but I am concerned about the cost to fix. It has rust holes in the underside of the roof at the doors. Here is the passenger side, this is the worst:

The drivers side is better though it is still there:

There is a little bubbling above the windshield on the passenger side:

and a tiny bit at the bottom also on the PS:

Under the carpet the floors look good and there is no rust in the rear corners that seem to plague most cabs. There is some good rot on the passenger side rocker panel which looks like it needs a $20 patch panel.

The doors have some rot at the bottom but there are cheap patch panels for that too. The only other rust that I saw was at odd places. Both fenders have holes on the top which is nowhere near where any water would ever pool, new ones seem to be readily available though. and there are 2 holes in the bed floor one on each side close to the tail gate.

I guess my biggest concern is the roof, and if fixing the rust is going to end up costing more than the truck is worth.
I know that all of these trucks have rust, they just did not have the metal coating technology that they have today.
Any advice is appreciated!
Jonlopes is offline   Reply With Quote