The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2015, 10:49 AM   #1
kingstrider

Found my first ever truck!

Well after years of wanting a swb Chevy truck, I decided to sell my Mustang and go for it! I was born in the late 60s so have liked the 67-72 generation since I was a kid and these trucks were relatively new and everywhere you looked. Like anything else made during that time, I have seen less and less of these trucks over the years and have been watching prices steadily going up as a result. I was going to get one made in my birth year but used to have a neighbor that would let me borrow his 72 long bed for the occasional run to Lowe's and have been hooked on that body style ever since.

I actually wanted a well optioned 71-72 step side and looked nationwide for several months before I found this fleet side Cheyenne Super about 2 hours away in a neighboring state. I looked at the truck last week and was impressed by the overall condition and how little rust the truck has. I already knew my wife wouldn't like the color but once I drove the truck I knew it was the one so put a deposit down. As luck would have it, my wife and I were passing through the area for an anniversary trip so arranged to pick it up on the way home. The drive home was stressful as it was an unknown vehicle but it ran well and without any complications. I have owned a number of muscle cars over the years but this is a unique purchase as I have never owned a truck or a Chevrolet for that matter.

The SPID shows a number of options including power steering and brakes, factory air, tilt steering wheel and the 402 big block. Unfortunately someone swapped the original engine for a 400 small block which is a gas hog but runs strong. The truck was repainted a few years ago but I think it was originally all orange with a white top. The clear coat is peeling in a couple places but shows well with the parchment interior. Other than some aftermarket gauges, wheels, lowering kit and plastic bed liner, the truck is otherwise unmolested and appears mostly original.

As far as plans go, my goal is to just fix the things that need it and go from there. The gas gauge doesn't work right but I picked up a rebuilt instrument cluster last weekend with the tachometer so will probably start there. There are a couple of small rusty areas but should be easy repairs and I bought a nice little Miller welder a few months ago in preparation for another project. Otherwise about the only things I'm thinking of changing are a new seat cover, different wheels and fixing the AC system for an upcoming move to a much warmer state.

Last edited by kingstrider; 05-02-2015 at 10:58 AM.
kingstrider is offline   Reply With Quote