The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-20-2015, 09:10 PM   #11
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

I was pleasantly surprised today when the new SST802R tachometer showed up ahead of schedule. It remained in its original packaging which included preformed foam insulators to suspend the plastic display box. It arrived in perfect condition:

Everything that wouldn’t be needed was quickly stripped away. Here’s the backside of the head, which is virtually identical to the FZ88R head except for the model number:

In this photo the new gauge head is hanging from the wires, highlighting the screw extensions needed to reach the back of the longer NC-1 cup. These came from an original FZ88N parts tach:

Here are a couple of shots of the finished installation. It went very quickly as the wiring and layout is identical in both tachs, so it was simply a matter of swapping the connections:

And this is the profile that I so long admired. It is accentuated by the added length of the larger rim on the front of the Super Tach:

In truth the long NC-1 cup is only ½” longer than the standard NC-5 cup provided with the new gauges. Here is an NOS example of an NC-5 by itself:

From front to back the dimension is 3 ¼”. The NC-1 comes in at 3 ¾” from front to back.

And finally here’s a comparison shot showing a mounted NC-5 standard cup. Those with a good eye will note the picture looks a bit odd, as the latest marketing presentation attached both mounting brackets one over the other:

I’m not sure what will become of the FZ88R, but here it is mounted in the SST802R packaging, awaiting its next assignment: