The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2015, 12:35 AM   #1
tarafied1

worn and broken 12 bolt

I bought this 72 Cheyenne a few years ago. It had been sitting in a field. Since I have been driving it and repairing it, the rear end has been pretty noisy. I recently put new u-joints and carrier bearing in it because those were shot and making noise. The rear was still howling under load and clunking on deceleration. I assumed it might be pinion bearings but the yoke "felt" tight.
Well, it finally gave up the ghost! It broke with a loud clunk and hopped up in the air and skidded to a stop. A friend towed me home with his Dodge. The rear was making some pretty nasty sounds as we drug it home.
Pulled the rear cover today and several parts fell out. I fished them out of the pan of gear oil. It appears the spider gear pin was worn so badly it finally broke into multiple pieces. The carrier housing holes are pretty chewed up and one of the spider gears was jammed into the ring and pinion gears. I think the whole differential is toast....