The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2015, 12:39 PM   #32
66Submarine

Re: my 63 upgrade

Sorry if I came across as being critical of you personally, I was really just making a note for the other people reading regarding the whole XE Comp flat tappet thing. A lot of people will push others to buy these based on the fact that the aggressive lobe profiles are touted as making slightly more power/having better idle manners than comparable "old" style grinds. Like the blurb for that one:

Quote:
COMP Cams Xtreme Energy 4x4 cam and lifter kits are built to take advantage of the latest cam technology to provide maximum performance and low-end torque for your vehicle. Whether your use is off-roading or towing, there is an Xtreme 4x4 for you. By using an aggressive lobe profile, these cams provide better throttle response and more top-end horsepower than equivalent cams from other manufacturers, while delivering increased engine vacuum.
Funny how they neglect to mention the drawbacks of the aggressive lobe profiles in the ad, huh?

A roller cam is great if you have the money for it.

I'm personally going to stick one of these in my budget flat tappet 454 when I put it together:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k1301
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k1300

No reason you can't reuse your other valvetrain components if the springs are appropriate for the new cam.

Quote:
ok i might have found the culprit for the metal in the oil.
i start investigate today, before dismantling the engine, on the distributor gear and the rockers.
distributor gear is ok but when i remove the valve covers, all the rockers are loose except one, i spin the engine buy the crank and the same rocker is always stuck.
What exactly do you mean by "stuck"?