The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-2015, 02:21 AM   #1
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Brake pedal mods and unspoken topics.

So I'm putting this here since the learning curve is a little steeper in this section, and some of yall may understand where I'm coming from. This is sort of philosophical, but there is an actual technical question in its midst. Skip to the **** below if you just want the technical discussion.

I've noticed that in "forum culture" there are certain mods and topics that go largely un-addressed for a number of reasons. I don't mean stuff that breaks forum rules or offends people, I mean stuff that is automotively germain.

Allow me to expound; in the world of hot-rodding, noting was really out-of-bounds. Any functional means to fix a problem was considered valid, and nothing was out of the realm of possibility.

But the more we've advanced cars, safety, and our understanding of both, we shy away from certain topics. What you "can" do, often becomes what you "should" do....whether or not its practical, or even the best solution.

It seems as if the majority of these topics are involving safety. Things involving cages, brakes, airbags, fire, crash resistance, etc are all topics that less and less individuals want to respond to...especially if it means suggesting something controversial.

Back in the day, I knew tons of people who removed crash bars in cars for weight loss or to fit custom bumpers. Many of us here have removed bumpers in favor of roll pans. But if you break it down, is it "really" a good idea? If I tell you that I prefer a truck without rear bumpers, am I contributing to your negligence if an accident occurred? I sure as hell hope not.

So with my little philosophical rant explored, lets look at another real world example. I'm tall, and no amount of work to the seats or cab has improved that beyond where it was....so recently we just decided to go ahead and section a chunk of the floor out and forward to create a little "footwell" like you might see in some race cars.

My truck is DBW, so gas pedal relocation is easy...but there is this other pedal thats kind of a primadonna. Its the scary brake pedal, the one your not supposed to f*ck with. I need to move it 3-4" to the left, and about an inch down.

I'm well aware the pedal needs to be strong, very strong. I have hydroboost so it won't have the same pedal pressure as manual brakes would, but you definately don't want the thing to break off under your foot. The real question is; can I get away with putting a crook in the pedal to angle it as needed (even reinforcing if need be)? Would I be better off building a custom-offset pedal the retains its rod geometry?

Due to the way its setup, switching out the entire thing for an aftermarket wilwood unit would be no more beneficial, and moving the hydrobooster unit/master/wiring/lines under the truck isn't an option like it is w/ certain aftermarket vacuum boosters.

I'm tired, this post got waay to long. I'm curious about the discussion that follows, whether or not it answers my questions

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote