The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2015, 07:52 PM   #11
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

Yippee!!! The brown truck arrived about 14:15 with the new 140 amp alternator, so I set to work immediately getting it installed. The mechanical attachments were dirt simple, until I realized I misplaced one ¼” spacer. So I stuck 4 stainless flat washers together with Krazy Glue which will serve nicely until I can get my kid to machine up another cosmetically correct replacement.

Next up, I soon came to realize the power post on the back of the alternator was larger than any I have previously encountered. This took a few minutes to remedy, replacing the ¼” ring terminals with larger 5/16” components. They crimped in place nicely thanks to my professional ratcheting crimper, with the two biggest terminals placed back to back for ease of installation. Here’s the completed install:

It turns out Summit Racing didn’t exaggerate when they claimed the alternator was rated at 150 amps. The voltage set point was 14.8 on both alternators. The amp output specs on both alternators are as follows:

Powermaster amps – idle 105, cruise 127, top end 162
Napa amps – 55 amps at 2000 rpms, 77 amps at 6000 rpms.

My generic calculations indicate I’ll be using about 110 amps when all the main devices are activated – like headlights, fans, a/c, ignition, dash lights, etc. With a fully charged battery showing 13.6 volts - during a quick trip around the block the volt meter only dropped to 13.5 volts once when we stopped after everything had warmed. This was with everything running, and the A/C and fans cycling on and off. And this was with the passenger side spotlight illuminated! I didn’t notice until after we got home. I probably bumped the switch while messing around in the glovebox wiring up the camera power.

It’s pretty obvious the old alternator never had a chance at keeping up with the electrical needs. It’s also pretty apparent looking at the photo I could spend some time cleaning up my master cylinder!