The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2015, 01:50 PM   #1
davepl

First Drive!

I don't want to cross post much but its been 3 years in the making so I'll do it once!

Yesterday I pretty much ran out of things to do. Some minor things like the radio speaker not working, but I couldn't bear to pull that glovebox again, so I did something else.

I drove it for the first time in 3 years.

Took it a mile or two up the road for gas, stopped once along the way to check things out. Might have a bit of brake drag on the back left, as the drum was warm to the touch, but not red hot or anything. The four-speed auto lens might be half a gear off, little adjustments like that.

I'm not stoked about having kept my somewhat loose converter in the 200-4R. I'm suspecting I will need to change that, as it doesn't creep at idle. Of course I only have it idling at 500 as well.

Oil pressure great, ammeter charges or maintains with every load on (100A alt), stayed 180F the whole day. Really no significant issues at all.

I'm pretty happy given it's probably 3000 pieces I took apart, restored or refinished or replaced, put them back together and drove it to the store without incident... and it's my first one.

Thanks for all of the help and encouragement along the way! This board has been an invaluable, if sometimes frustrating, resource for all kinds of questions that came up along the way. The community knowledge is a huge asset!

I also picked up my new Z06 Convertible last week (nice work if you can get it) so it happened to be in the background because I had to move it to get the truck out, but I left it in the photo because it's 45 years of GM in one pic!
Attached Images

davepl is offline   Reply With Quote