The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-17-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
496 BB

Fuel Transfer Pump....

In process of starting my L18 swap and currently have dual tanks. I know I read somewhere in one of Larrys threads about how the factory transfer pumps wont work for size reasons so was thinking. I plow with this truck so having that extra tank would be nice although it doesnt work now. My idea was as follows:

Get a fuel transfer pump and have the passenger side as the aux tank as it is now. Cap off or just leave in the fuel sending unit and drill a hole to fit a tube down into tank leaving 1/4" from bottom. Weld that to top with it sticking out enough to weld or compression fit a fitting on for the transfer pump. Mount pump on frame or wherever and have it go to main tank. Main tank will have another inlet or I can tap into existing fuel filler hose. Run a switch in cab with some kind of time delay switch as to not leave it on and either overfill or burn up. Also would like to have a manual override for the off position in case it fill up faster than the delay.

Not sure if any of this would work thats why Im wanting some input.
Dana 44 and 14 bolt FF
7.6' Western Plow

2001 Silverado LT HD 4x4
496ci (8.1L)
Allison
EFI Live
And more.....
496 BB is offline   Reply With Quote