The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2015, 10:36 PM   #1
One Chevy Scotty

Making of a daily driver, not a daily broke ass rig

OK,

So I have resigned to drive the 72 K20 at least one full day a week. For a long time it only got out of the barn on nice pretty weekend days, but she deserved much more love than that

So, I got a new carb from Sean at SMI....it puke gas out the top no matter what we did, so now it sits under my counter at the shop. I got the original carb going well enough that I can tolerate it's quirks. Sometimes the throttle sticks a little bit with zero peddle...some lube on the shaft will cure it for a few weeks, but it always seems to return.

The HEI has killed two of the optical breakers, the third one has held up for 3 years now....as long as I don't hook up the factory tach it will hang OK. The three prong connector was getting loose and arcing internally, so I put a brand new WeatherPack style connector and it is dying randomly a lot less

I have put some really good exhaust gaskets and collector gasket seals on it and now the state inspector doesn't laugh at me any more.

It still lacks a radio, but the voices in my head keep me plenty occupied/entertained.....

I have not plumbed the enormous auxiliary fuel tanks, but really ought to do that....

With the Ethanol revolution around here, I can no longer find E0 fuel, so I am limited to 10% Ethanol and it seems to have a lower boiling point, and that is leading to hours of frustration. It seems that if I sit still at a light, or idle at the gas station, the truck will vapor lock. I was sold some aluminized reflective heat shielding to put over the steel fuel line between the fuel pump. I just put it on tonight and we will see if it works. I suspect that the myriad of fuel lines that run from the tank to the selector switch and around the headers is probably not helping either.

I broke my rule about buying anything from LMC and got a replacement antenna mast, turn signal switch (my wife broke off the hazard light switch handle and it has also stopped self-cancelling the turn signals....I also sprung for the hardware to hand the spare tire under the bed as GM intended.

I REALLY love driving the truck and I get a lot of positive comments and offers to buy the truck, but the little things are eating me up inside.

I am on the hunt for the correct Ram's Horn manifolds with the 2.5 outlet so that I can ditch the headers.....any idea where to find some really quality castings?

I have toyed with the idea of putting a fuel pump with a return line to the tank, but I am waiting to see if the reflective covers do any good.

Someone said that I should mix some diesel with the gas to raise the boiling point of the fuel, but that seemed suspect at best.

I have realized that it takes tremendous patience and dedication to drive a classic, but if I can get all of the bugs worked out, I will have the truck of my youthful dreams

Any comments & suggestions are welcome.
One Chevy Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote