The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2015, 12:22 PM   #18
mike16

Re: 1 finger steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
More often than not I appreciate your wisdom and agree with you Special-K, but just rolling over and being happy with over-assisted steering because it's the way it always was, is contrary to the very reason hot rodding was created. I think manipulating a vehicle to reflect your taste and preference is exactly what makes this hobby appealing to people. I love a beautiful restoration. These trucks were created at a time when freeways were new, and speeds didn't much break 60mph, hence the speed warning system on these trucks as well as others. Modern vehicles have made these classics nearly dangerous to drive with drum brakes and twitchy over assisted steering at speed. It's also become dangerous to drive slower and within the means of these trucks completely stock, because of modern driving practices. Your quote of Ben Franklin while vague, can be interpreted MANY different ways. One may say destroying the ground and air to create gasoline powered vehicles in order to manipulate larger distance driving is considered unreasonable. This post is light-hearted and in good spirits mind you, just a different take on your thoughts.

Keith, these trucks indeed were over-assisted from the factory! Heck, you worked there who am I to tell you! Yes, though other than worn components the power steering over-assisted feel is completely normal for these trucks.
total bull chit. How do modern vehicles make these trucks dangerous to drive. ditto drum brakes. and over assisted is over assisted and that is not normal. My parents bought several new GM vehicles in the 70's and they all steered like this. normal safe and not over assisted. If there is something wrong with the truck then dont blame the way it came off the line 40 years ago. How do you tie in envirionmental devistation with over assisted power steering? kinda creepy dude.And your explaination that the hot rod industry foundation is based on people doing what they want contradicts they very reason why one persone prefers over assisted steering and another does not. clearly you have not thought your statement though. Nor have you ever driven a ford product of the same era.

My 72 c10 drives exactly like our 76 malibue wagon did back when it was new. nothing wrong and quite normal then and now. fix whats wrong dont look for demonds to spar with.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote