The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2004, 12:52 PM   #1
PHOENIX

Got my EXHAUST parts!

Question:
Once the entire exhaust system is installed and ready to tune the carb, how do I make sure that I dont cook the headers and the coating on them? I remember Mike saying something about this and I dont want to ruin the coating. Was it because Mike changed a lot of stuff and the carb wasnt close to the proper setting? How much tuning of the carb should be expected?
Thanks

This is all the major parts I plan to use for my exhaust.
The only things missing are the collectors and copper gaskets for the passenger side header (so I can eliminate the efe valve).
I also plan to get some 90degree elbows for the air tubes, so the air from the pump comes in from the side instead of the top.
I also need exhaust hangers.

I hope to have it all in by the end of next month.
Going to install it all myself and will probably get the headers coated so the truck may be down for up to a week.
I am going to see if my dad will let me borrow one of this trucks so I can get to work.

For those who dont know. I going to run the headers to the y-pipe, have a collector at the end of the y-pipe so the pipes can be removed. Then 3" pipe into the cat, 3" pipe from cat to muffler, 3" pipe 90 degree bend out of muffler and exit drivers side before rear tire. The end of the exhaust will be in a little bit, not really visible from the outside but close enough for the emissions people to stick the sniffer on it.

Headers are Edelbrock TES, Cat is Catco 3", Muffler is Aerochamber 3", all gaskets are SCE copper, header bolts are stage-8 locking, 3" pipes are aluminized.