The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #1
kelz702

vacuum leak? maybe break booster?

Hello All!
First off I'd like to say this form has helped me out tremendously over the years. The knowledge and know how is next to none.
I have a 72 c20 rebuilt 350, old th300. I've been trying to track down what I believe to be a vacuum leak. After doing some searching, I found out about break boosters causing vacuum leaks due to a torn diaphragm.
The truck idles prefect accept for when I'm stopped at a light for a few minutes. It then start to surge. As soon as I accelerate, the surge goes away. Only when I stop at a light again, it starts back up. It only happens when I have the breaks on for over a few mins. On short stops, there is no problem.
Today I took the vacuum hose going to the booster off while it was surging. I had it on my street with the ebrake on, chucks under the tires, and in drive. Once I plugged the hose the idle went up and the surge went away.
Does this sound like I need to replace my break booster due to a torn diaphragm?
Thanks,
Kelz
Posted via Mobile Device
kelz702 is offline   Reply With Quote