The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2015, 01:10 PM   #1
PLYONS11

HELP! Drive shaft troubles

Im looking for some advise on my driveshaft issues. I have started the 3/4 to 1/2 ton conversion that can be seen in my other posts. I swapped out the Dana 60 for a 12bolt and used CPP's tubular rear end kit to convert from leaf to coil springs. Everything was going great until I tried to figure out the driveshaft issues.

My truck is a long bed with a 2 piece drive shaft. The kit I bought for the coil conversion came with a mounting bracket for the carrier bearing, but its unfortunately for the light duty carried bearing and does not work with my HD bearing. CPP also sells a bracket that converts their other bracket from the light duty to the HD bearing, but its for a half ton setup. The bracket just isn't wide enough for the 3/4 ton bearing.

I need to get this driving (only temporarily). I have recently been relocated and will be moving to Birmingham. The relo company we are using will move one vehicle, but it has to be running and driving. Its all ready to drive EXCEPT for the drive shaft. I don't want to have a shaft made, because it will only be temporary as I plan to do an engine/trans swap. I have the crossover u joint already, but I'm stuck. I have tried a few different carrier bearings, but all of them that will mount to the bracket are to small ( inside dia of the bearing) for my 3/4 ton drive shaft.

I also looked into using a 1/2 2 piece shaft, but they all seem to have a splined end on the trans side of the shaft. My shaft mounts to the SM420 with a bolt on flange.

I'm looking for any/all ideas to help me get this thing mobile ASAP.

Thanks!
PLYONS11 is offline   Reply With Quote