The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-10-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
centuryhousedw

New to board & GMC trucks! Just bought a 72 Sierra Grande

Hi everybody - I'm new to the forum though I've been avidly reading it for the last few days. I've just bought my first GMC - a 1972 Sierra Grande. I've wanted a late 60s-early 70s Chevy or GMC pickup since I was a teen back in the late 80s. It is pretty beat, but it was the price point that I could afford to start off with ($1800). The truck runs and drives but had a number of problems when I bought it earlier this week. I understand this will be a project, and there are a lot of things that need doing.

I can't afford to do a full restoration, so my goal will be to have a safe, well driving truck, and while not being hung up on 'all original' I would like to keep it / get it reasonably 'original' where possible.

More info below and questions below the pics:

* Transmission wouldn't shift into 3rd gear until around 45 mph, but I just fixed it by replacing a vacuum line that had come loose.
* Power steering was out but is working now once I tightened the belt and added fluid; there is a leak that I'm working to fix.
* Radiator leak which was just a hose clamp that wouldn't tighten.

* Factory AC is not connected, and appears to my uneducated eye to be missing components.
* Heater not working, but once I learn where the heater core is I'll get it figured out.
* Wipers not working; the push/pull switch itself appears to be broken (?)
* Needs a sway bar, some bushings replaced in the front end, and the shocks are ancient.
* Oil leak - most appears to be the power steering leak that blew back; the rest looks like valve cover gasket leaks.

* The only serious rust is just inside the doors, mainly on the driver's side. The rest actually looks pretty good.
* Missing most of the trim, and has the wrong tailgate (Chevrolet instead of GMC).

Now that I've got the transmission working, next is replacing the power steering rubber hose section and hoping that ends the leak. I bought a variety of hose sizes and will be replacing the vacuum and fuel line hoses as they all look dry rotted. Then the fluids and filters.

In addition to this introduction, I'd like to pick your brains on a few things:

1) how do I get the instrument cluster / bezel off? I removed the screws, found a write up on removing the headlight switch, but can't figure out how to remove the wiper switch assembly.

2) What should this hose from the driver's side valve cover go to? I can't find any fitting on the carb or nearby. There is a similar elbow fitting and hose on the passenger side valve cover, and it goes to a fitting on the back/left of the carb.

3) The splines showing on this bit of driveshaft - is that right???

4) I am guessing this is the AC stuff, and I see a lot of cut hoses. Is the heater core back in there too?

5) Best place to get decent condition trim pieces at the best price? Our local wrecking yards seem to not have much of these trucks.
centuryhousedw is offline   Reply With Quote