The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2015, 02:13 PM   #11
WIDESIDE72

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

I was gassing up and the guy working on the drive through car wash came by and said he liked the truck and asked if i knew i had a shock hanging loose. I said no and looked under to see that the nut for the right rear lower shock had come loose. The bolt and spacer were still in the shock though. I pushed the shock up out of the way and went by tractor supply and bought two lock nuts and two flat washers. When i installed the shocks originally the poly bushing wanted to crush and disort beore i got the nut as tight as i wanted. I put the washer under the bolt head, then put the bolt through the shock, throth the mounting bracket, then installed the locknut. I took the other side apart and did the same thing. Now the nut is tight where ever i stop turning it, instead of having to rely and compressing the bushing so much to get it tight.

While i was under there, i noticed that the upper track bar bushing (on rear axle) was gone. The stud and nut were still there, no bushing. This was a CPP part that i bough as part of a kit from the forum. I ordered an energy suspension bushing kit online for $13 shipped and plan to add a big washer to it as well to keep it in place. This explains why i noticed the tire rub marks on the inside of the driver rear tire well when i had the tire off working on my hidden (marker light) fuel filler install!

While i had the truck up on the ramps i also swapped out the e brake cable i bought from LMC that was supposed to be for a swb truck with th350 but was too long. I got one from Oreilly that was listed for the same application. Lo and behold it was shorter and cheaper to boot! Now i finally have an operation e brake!